Environmental policy statement
DELWP supports Victoria’s natural and built environment to ensure economic growth and liveable, sustainable and inclusive communities.
DELWP is committed to best practice and continuous improvement through reducing the environmental impacts of its operations as outlined in the DELWP Green Team Strategy.
To do this DELWP will:
- Refine and maintain an Environmental Management System (EMS) that drives continual improvement across the department
- clearly communicate our Environmental Policy Statement and responsibilities to staff and contractors
- set targets and objectives to minimise waste, environmental harm and pollution associated with departmental operations
- ensure our operational activities exceed the requirements of environmental legislation and Government policy, and adopt leading edge environmental procedures and guidelines
- minimise the consumption of water, energy, materials and other resources in all operational areas through discipline and innovation
- ensure new capital works programs incorporate comprehensive environmental sustainability principles
- incorporate environmental principles and, where possible, life cycle costing in decision making and procurement processes
- ensure department staff have the ability to achieve these policy objectives
- share our achievements and learnings with other departments
- monitor, measure and publicly report our environmental performance.
Inadvertent sharing of data by the DELWP Customer Service Centre
Recently the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning's (DELWP) Customer Service Centre inadvertently shared personal data of some Game Management Authority (GMA) customers.
This information - name, address and game licence approach - was inadvertently sent to individual customers as an email attachment in the process of GMA customers' renewing their game licences.
DELWP has contacted the customers affected by the data breach to apologise and let them know of the steps taken to delete the data.
These steps include:
- Suspension of the use of email to communicate GMA Game Licence renewals
- Complete review of licence renewal processes, with responsibility escalated to senior customer Service Centre management
- A complete review and additional training for customer service staff about the handling of customer data and privacy requirements under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.