Each agency in the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) charges a range of fees and penalties. These charges include planning and heritage permit application fees, penalties for planning infringements, houseboat licences, exemptions and permits.
Some fees are indexed to increase annually with inflation and are fixed in fee units. For the full listing of fees please visit the related departmental pages or download the relevant fee schedule document below. For the financial year 2018-19, the value of a fee unit is $14.45.
Fines and Penalties
Penalties are calculated on the basis of penalty units. For example, the penalty for a planning infringement is set at 5 penalty units for an individual (a ‘natural person’ under the Planning and Environment Act 1987) and at 10 units for a company.
The value of a penalty unit for a financial year is fixed by the Treasurer under section 5(3) of the Monetary Units Act 2004. For the financial year 2018/2019, the value of one penalty unit is $161.19.
Victorian Government departments and agencies charge a range of:
- fees and charges for services and regulatory purposes, including licensing and registering certain activities
- fines for improper conduct and to discourage unlawful behaviour.
Fees and fines are officially set and revised by legislation relevant to their application and contribute to the Victorian Government's consolidated revenue.
Other Government fees
Visit the Department of Treasury and Finance to access lists from other departments.
For information about the operation or payment of specific fees or fines, please contact us.
The material provided is intended for use as a general reference only. It is made available on the understanding that while the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning endeavours to maintain complete, accurate and up-to-date information users are aware that:
- the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning does not warrant the accuracy of the information provided and will accept no responsibility for reliance upon it; nor responsibility for any errors or omissions in the material provided
- users should exercise their own care and skill when using the material
- by providing this general information the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning is not providing advice
- users should take appropriate professional advice before relying upon the information.
Links to other websites are inserted for convenience only and do not constitute endorsement of material on those sites, or of any associate organisation, product or service.