This website is currently being updated.

From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, Victoria entered a State of Disaster.

Read Premier's statement on changes to Melbourne’s restrictions
Read Premier's statement of changes to regional restrictions

For more information visit the DHHS website

More information about restrictions is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website.    

Permitted activities within metropolitan Melbourne are different from the rest of Victoria. This includes permitted activities on public land, and the responsibilities of public land managers in implementing revised directions:  

Metropolitan Melbourne  

From 6:00pm on 2 August, Stage 4 restrictions are in place across metropolitan Melbourne.

From 8:00pm Sunday 2 August in metropolitan Melbourne, a curfew is in place between 8:00pm and 5:00am.  

Outside of these hours, you are only allowed to leave your house for one of the following four reasons:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Information for land managers

Official information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), including directions about current social and recreational restrictions that Committees of Management must comply with, is available on the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website.

Land managers should check the DHHS web site on a regular basis as the situation is very dynamic; advice and directions will change as circumstances change. It is important to reduce the risk of transmission of the virus in the Victorian community.

If you would like to discuss aspects of managing Crown land call 136 186 to be put through to the DELWP Regional Manager Land and Built Environment in your part of the State.

It is essential that land managers, including Committees of Management managing public reserves, caravan parks and camping grounds are aware of relevant information

Signage for Land Managers

Metropolitan Melbourne

Regional Victoria

Frequently asked questions for land managers

What activities are permitted on public land?

Permitted activities differ for metropolitan Melbourne and other areas of Victoria:

Regional Victoria - Existing accommodation bookings?

Holidays are not one of the four reasons to be away from your home.  

People who were staying in holiday accommodation before the restrictions commenced can complete their booking, and must return to their normal residence once the original booking period finishes.

Regional Victoria - New accommodation bookings?

Regional Victoria is under Stage 3 restrictions from 11:59pm on 5 August. Public land managers must not take new bookings for periods during these restrictions. At this stage, these restrictions are in place until 11:59 pm 16 September 2020 and may be extended.

Cancelling bookings and refunds?

Public land managers must cancel bookings if the booking starts during the restriction period (from 5 August 2020 to 16 September 2020.  This period may be extended, and managers should advise people considering booking accommodation after this date about this possibility.  

Refunds must be provided if bookings are cancelled in response to increased restrictions within Victoria. Accommodation providers in regional Victoria impacted by these cancellations may be eligible to apply for direct financial support of up to $225 per booking per night through the Tourism Accommodation Support Program.

Regional Victoria - Day-visits and exercise

Residents of metropolitan Melbourne must remain within a 5km radius of their home if exercising outside.

Travel between areas in Stage 4 and Stage 3 restrictions is not permitted.  

Regional Victoria - What are the restrictions on community sport and training outside?

Community sport and training is not permitted. Indoor sports centres and venues must close.

Further information can be found on Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Return to Play website.

Regional Victoria - Do I need to close off access to buildings on recreation reserves?

Halls and buildings on public land may be used for the purpose of a community facility:

  • to host an essential public support service
  • to support small groups if they:
    • involves less than 20 members of the public and allows for 4 square meters per person in the undivided indoor space; and
    • complies with the signage, cleaning and records requirements.
  • to host a wedding or funeral if it  
    • complies with the requirements of current public health directives; and
    • complies with signage, cleaning and records requirements.
  • for the exclusive use of a school at any one time for educational purposes.

Regional Victoria - Can people go camping or stay at a caravan park?

No. People cannot go camping.  Overnight stays are not permitted.

Travel between areas in Stage 4 and Stage 3 restrictions is not permitted.

Shared facilities such as showers, laundries and kitchens at camping and tourist accommodation are closed.  

Are Parks Victoria sites closed?

Parks that are open for exercise and recreation where physical distancing requirements can be met. Check the Parks Victoria website for a full list of closures and/or changed conditions before you leave home.

Should boat ramps be opened?

Boat ramps in the metropolitan Melbourne area should be closed. Recreation activities, including boating, are not permitted within metropolitan Melbourne.

In regional Victoria, if a boat ramp you manage can be used in a way that ensures physical distancing of 1.5 metres between people is maintained, it should be opened.  

Better Boating Victoria has developed signage and further information to assist land managers with reopening boat ramps under eased restrictions.  

Are people still allowed to collect firewood?

No. The Autumn firewood collection season closed on 30 June 2020. Existing rules and restrictions on firewood collection can be found on the Forest Fire Management Victoria website.

Regional Victoria - Are tours and events allowed in parks and forests?

No. No more than two people can gather outside in regional Victoria, in addition to people from the same household. Physical distancing requirements must be met at all times.

Licensed Tour Operators should contact Parks Victoria’s Activation Agreements Team - Commercial Directorate on 13 19 63 or email for further information.

Is filming and photography allowed in parks and forests?

Yes. Filming and photography is permitted in parks and forests in regional Victoria in line with existing guidelines. Please check the Parks Victoria and DELWP websites for more details.

Filming and photography is not permitted in parks and forests in metropolitan Melbourne.

Physical distancing, hand hygiene and frequent environmental cleaning & disinfection are to be maintained.

Should public toilets be open?

In metropolitan Melbourne Public toilets on recreation reserves should be closed .

In regional Victoria, public toilets can remain open however additional cleaning regimes will be required.

What information should I share with my licence and lease holders?

Restrictions for various businesses are outlined on the DHHS website. These may affect activities run by lessees and licence holders. We recommend all public land managers contact their licence and lease holders to inform them of the new directions and remind them of new restrictions relating to How We Live and How We Work including physical distancing requirements and gathering limitations.

Do I need to put up signage in busy areas?  

Yes. Although the current restrictions in both metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria are expected to reduce use of public land, it is recommended that signage is placed in any areas where people may frequent.  

Signage should specify the gathering and physical distancing requirements. Committees of management can download updated signage they can use.

Do I need to enforce directions?

Public land managers do not have authorisation to conduct enforcement actions.

If you observe someone not following a public health direction you can contact Victoria Police on 131 444.

Can I still conduct works?

Service and constructions activities must comply with the Stage 4 How We Work restrictions announced by the Victorian Government on 3 August 2020. From 11:59pm on 5 August, some business activities will cease, and some will require a COVIDSafe plan, have limits on the number of workers on site and have additional requirements to ensure the activities can be done safely

Please regularly check the DHHS website for new directions from the Chief Health Officer, and the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions website for details about Stage 4 How We Work restrictions.

Further information

Please contact the DELWP Customer Contact Centre on 136 186.

The situation is changing rapidly. Check the Department of Health and Human Services website regularly for updates.

Find information about forest and parks or visit Park Victoria Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates

Page last updated: 4/08/20

Page last updated: 04/08/20