The Victorian public sector has strict integrity requirements.
Board members: As a public sector board member, you must:
- act and make decisions in the public interest (best interests of the agency)
- comply with the integrity standards for public sector board members.
Your board: Your board should have an integrity framework (consolidated code of conduct) for board members. Your board’s integrity framework should be consistent with the DELWP model policy on Integrity Framework,which replaces the Code of Conduct model policy previously issued by DELWP. It incorporates:
- integrity obligations in the Public Administration Act 2004 (PAA)
- Code of Conduct for Directors of Victorian Public Entities (Directors’ Code of Conduct)
- other public sector integrity obligations and good practice for board members.
Employees: Your board should also ensure that the agency’s executives and other employees understand that the agency is part of the public sector and that public sector employees have integrity obligations, including the Code of Conduct for Victorian Public Sector Employees.
Model Policies – Integrity framework
Standard for major agencies
- It is basic good governance for all DELWP agencies to have an Integrity Framework (consolidated code of conduct) in place for board members
- Your board's policy should be consistent with the DELWP model policy (below), which replaces the model policy on Code of Conduct.
- The Integrity Framework model policy consolidates the Directors’ Code of Conduct and other integrity obligations for board members into a single, easy to read policy.
Small committees of management
For small (category 3) committees of management of crown land reserves, see the code of conduct model policy in the Committees of management support module.
An overview – Integrity framework (major agencies)
- Easy-to-read overview of a board member’s integrity obligations and good practice
- Include in induction kits for board members of major agencies
An overview (small committees of management)
For small (category 3) committees of management of crown land reserves, see the code of conduct guidance note in the Committees of management support module.
Related support modules
On Board has related support modules for DELWP board members, including:
Victorian Public Sector Commission (VPSC)
The DELWP model policy on Integrity Framework (see above) incorporates the Directors’ Code of Conduct and other governance obligations and good practice.
As part of their watchdog role, the Victorian Ombudsman, the Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO), and the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) also promote a high standard of public sector governance. For further information see the Integrity complaints support module.
Why have an integrity framework?
The Victorian Public Sector Commission (VPSC) has issued the Directors’ Code of Conduct. Why have an integrity framework?
- Other integrity obligations also apply to your board, some of which are a higher source than the Directors’ Code of Conduct – e.g. sections 7, 8, 13A, 79, 80, 81, 82, and 85 of the PAA.
- The framework is a consolidated code of conduct. It incorporates the integrity standards that board members must comply with into a single, easy to read policy.
- Section 81 of the PAA requires boards to have a code of conduct.