Summer has certainly arrived and our crews, vehicles and equipment are ready to respond if and when a bushfire strikes.
We have over 600 Forest Fire Management Victoria project firefighters across the state, supported by our local incident management teams, our emergency management partners and the state’s 48 strong aircraft fleet.
With our beautiful parks and forests set to hit peak holiday season, community members should be aware of conditions and appropriate behaviours to make sure the trip is a safe and enjoyable one.
A few tips for those heading bush:
- Check the weather forecast and fire danger ratings, including days of Total Fire Ban.
- Download the new VicEmergency app, phone the VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226, listen to your local ABC radio or visit emergency.vic.gov.au for the latest emergency information.
- Make sure your campfire complies with regulations and is never left unattended – remembering that no campfires are allowed on days of Total Fire Ban.
- Make sure you take your rubbish home with you.
- Be sure to report any suspicious or illegal activity – report environmental crime to DELWP on 136 186, to Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or to your local DELWP office or police station.
Forest Fire Management Victoria has been working hard with communities to prepare for summer to make sure everyone has an enjoyable festive season amidst the predicted hot weather.